Summer might be an exciting time of year, but it’s important to keep an eye out for your Ragdoll’s safety. Fortunately, there are several tips that can help you keep your fur baby safe and cool in the summer months. The most important is to make sure your Ragdoll has plenty of access to fresh water. By keeping their water supply cooled or accessed from inside or a shaded area outside, you’ll ensure they’re sufficiently hydrated throughout the day. Additionally, clipping your Ragdoll’s fur in the summer months helps keep them cool and comfortable – especially if theirs is long or thick – as does brushing regularly to avoid matting and removing excess hair.
Finally, watch out for hot surfaces like sidewalks and driveways, too much sun exposure, and car journeys on hot days; these can all be detrimental to your Ragdoll’s well-being.
Here are 8 Tips In Summer That Keep Your Ragdoll Safe
With these 8 tips in mind, you can easily help keep your furry friend happy during the hot summer season!
- Keep your Ragdoll indoors or in a shaded area during the hottest parts of the day.
- Provide plenty of fresh water for your cat to drink.
- Keep your home cool by using fans or air conditioning.
- Avoid leaving your Ragdoll in a parked car, as it can quickly become too hot for them.
- Avoid exposing your cat to direct sunlight for extended periods of time.
- Consider purchasing a kitty pool or misting your cat with cool water on hot days.
- Keep your Ragdoll’s fur trimmed to a reasonable length to help them stay cool.
- Monitor your cat for signs of heat stroke, such as panting, lethargy, and vomiting, and seek veterinary care if necessary.
It’s important to keep in mind that all cats, including Ragdolls, can be susceptible to heat stroke, especially during the summer months. By following these tips, you can help keep your Ragdoll safe and cool during the hot summer months.
Make sure your Ragdoll has enough water
Making sure your Ragdoll has enough water during the summer is important for its health and well-being. Overheating, dehydration, and heat stroke are all common problems in hot weather. Make sure to provide your Ragdoll with plenty of fresh water every day, especially if it’s been outside for a long time or if it’s having trouble drinking from a bowl. If you’re not able to provide your Ragdoll with enough water, bring it into the house and let it drink from a filtered water fountain or tap.
Make Sure They Have Plenty Of Shade
It can be challenging to provide your ragdoll cat with enough shade during the summer months. Not only are they prone to overheating, but their fur is also very sensitive to the sun’s rays. To help your Ragdoll keep cool and healthy this summer, follow these tips:
- Provide plenty of shady areas where he or she can hide from the sun. Place large pieces of furniture in direct sunlight, and cover them with a cloth or mesh shield.
- Install awnings or parasols over windowsills to protect your cat from direct exposure.
- Make sure there are plenty of places for him or her to get water and snacks throughout the day; keeping them hydrated will help keep them cooler as well.
Provide them with a cooling pad or spray
Ragdoll cats are notorious for getting really hot in the summer. Not only do they get warm fur, but their little bodies generate a lot of heat.
- To help your ragdoll cat stay cool and comfortable during those scorching summer days, provide it with a cooling pad or spray.
- A cooling pad is great for taking your cat anywhere you go – to work, school, the store – you name it! It’s small enough to fit in your pocket or bag and worn like a coat on top of your pet’s existing clothing.
- Simply place it underneath your cat where it feels coolest, and let him chill out while he waits for his next adventure!
- A cooling spray can also be effective at keeping pets cool and comfortable.
- The best thing about these sprays is that they’re easy to use: Just mist them onto your pet’s body (or inside the crate if necessary), wait 10 minutes for them to dissipate fully, and enjoy peace of mind knowing that he’ll be staying nice and cool all day long!
Keep their Environment Clean and Free Of Pet Hair
Ragdoll cats are a popular breed of cat, and they have certain unique needs that may need to be taken into account when caring for them. The most important thing to remember is that ragdolls require an environment that is clean and free of pet hair in the summertime. This is because Ragdoll cats naturally groom each other, which can lead to excessive shedding if the environment isn’t prepared for it.
There are several ways to keep the environment clean and free of pet hair during summertime:
- Have removable mats or carpets on the floors so dirt and dust won’t track back up.
- Keep curtains closed at all times to keep sunlight out.
- Use air purifiers in high-traffic areas.
- Vacuum regularly (especially around furniture).
- Avoid leaving food or water dishes outside.
- and finally, maintain a cool temperature (between 68 and 72 degrees Fahrenheit) throughout the house.
Keep your Ragdoll inside when it’s hot outside
When the weather is hot outside, it can be easy to forget to keep your Ragdoll cat inside. As beautiful as the summer sun may be, Ragdolls are not built for outdoor temperatures and can suffer in the heat if not adequately protected. Keeping your Ragdoll indoors is the best way to make sure they stay happy and healthy during these hotter months – their lovable demeanors and sweet purrs will thank you for it! With plenty of toys, a cozy bed, and some window spots for sunshine, your Ragdoll will have everything it needs to beat the heat.
Monitor your Ragdoll’s weight and nutrition
As a Ragdoll owner, ensuring your cat is getting proper nutrition and maintaining a healthy weight is essential. Keeping an eye on their feeding habits is important as Ragdolls are known to be prone to gaining weight easily due to their plush coats and relaxed nature. Regular checkups with your veterinarian will help you determine if your pet’s health is up to par. A life-long nutrition plan can also be established from these visits which will ensure your feline companion stays in tip-top shape. Don’t forget that aside from diet and exercise, a proper amount of love and attention should also be devoted to our furry friends!
Keep a close eye on their health
Keeping a close eye on your ragdoll cat’s health is essential for both their well-being and yours. Ragdolls are susceptible to the same diseases as other domesticated cats, but they can also develop rarer conditions due to their unique genetic makeup. Here are some things you should Always keep an eye on when caring for your ragdoll:
- Ragdolls have a high incidence of diabetes mellitus, so make sure they’re regularly monitored while eating food and receiving treats
- They’re prone to kidney problems, so be sure to monitor their water intake and adjust it as needed
- Make sure they get adequate exercise – running or playing fetch is perfect!
It’s easy to get caught up in the fun of summer. But make sure you’re taking care of your Ragdoll cat to ensure their safety and wellness. It’s true what they say, the summer won’t last forever. But the season doesn’t mean you should stop being a pet parent. Follow these simple tips, and you should be set for a worry-free summer with your feline friend! For more information on how to keep your Ragdoll cat healthy this summer, visit our blog!